[ Readings on Southeast Asia ] [ Southeast Asia Traveling Classroom ] [ Pre-University Textbooks ]
[ Regional Networking ][ Conference on SEA ]
REPRESENTATIONS OF SOUTHEAST ASIA IN SOUTHEAST ASIAN PRE-UNIVERSITY TEXTBOOKS
On 8 May 2000, six Southeast Asian scholars analyzed the pre-university textbooks of Southeast Asian countries and presented a 30-page manuscript in a workshop held in Thammasat University, Bangkok. The project aimed to analyze how the pre-university textbooks (and teacher's manuals) portray Southeast Asia.
The writers were:
- For Indonesia: Muhamad Hisyam, Centre for Social and Cultural Studies, Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI);
- For Thailand: Warunee Osatharom, Thai Khadi Research Institute, Thammasat University;
- For Malaysia, Singapore, and Brunei: Vejai Balasubramaniam, Department of Southeast Asian Studies, University of Malaya;
- For the Philippines: Luisa Mallari-Hall, Department of English and Comparative Literature, University of the Philippines;
- For Vietnam: Nguyen Van Chinh, lecturer, Department of Anthropology, College of Social Science and Humanities, Vietnam National University;
- For Myanmar: Kyaw Yin Hlaing, Ph.D. candidate at the Department of Government, Cornell University.
The Foundation intends to publish a book from the papers presented at the workshop.
[ back to top ]
about us | grants | links | projects | publications | announcements | seas bulletin | contact us | faqs| home
You may email us at email@example.com
© COPYRIGHT 2003 SEASREP ALL RIGHTS RESERVED